Who Should Apply
High school age violinists, violists, cellists are encouraged to apply. Students should be entering 9th grade in the fall. An accomplished woodwind, harp, classical guitar or bass player may be selected.
Music Adventure accepts 15 – 18 students each year, depending on breakdown of instrumentation and gender. Music Adventure faculty consider playing ability, experience, teacher recommendation and instrumentation in making acceptance decisions, and aim to have a balance of male and female participants. Applicants who have applied previous years but were placed on the wait list or were not accepted will be given priority.
We have a rolling admissions policy. Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Please contact Music Adventure to find out if there is still space available for your instrument. Please include information about instrument, age and gender.
To apply, we require:
- a completed application
- recorded audition or request for live audition
- $50 application fee*
- a teacher recommendation letter, which can be included with the application or sent separately.*
(Click here for teacher recommendation guidelines.)
All materials should be sent in one of the following ways:
- via US mail to: Eric Dahlin, 110 Tarrifville Road, Simsbury, CT 06081
- emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- the application form can be filled out and sent electronically by clicking here
*Teacher recommendation and application fee are waived for returning students.
Returning students can secure a place with a $1000 deposit.
Auditions are scheduled by appointment in Hartford, CT. If distance precludes a live audition, a recording may be submitted by mail, a link may be emailed, or a file may be shared using DropBox. Video recordings are preferred. Students should present two contrasting works or one larger work or movement that shows contrasting styles. The audition program does not need to be more than 10 minutes long. Recordings do not need to be professional quality but should made with the best possible sound. Links can be emailed.
Cost and Travel
Price: $3950 includes:
- room and board, including breakfast, lunch and dinner, and Saturday dinners out
- sightseeing, including museum entrances and guided tours
- activities, such as T’ai Chi and pasta-making classes
- ground transportation in Italy including to and from the airport for students traveling together
A $50 application fee payable to Music Adventure LLC is also due at the time your application is submitted. Airfare is not included in the price, however, Music Adventure coordinates travels from JFK. A deposit of $1000 is due upon acceptance to the program. The balance is due by May 1.
Some financial aid is available for students with demonstrated need. Students who feel they may qualify for need-based aid should contact the director for more information. Financial aid is made available thanks to generous contributions from Music Adventure supporters.